The Trek

Last month, I had gone Trekking with two of my best buddies David and John to the Smoky Mountains. The Trekking trip was John's idea. John is a wildlife photographer. He had traveled to several exotic places around the world. Now, that he was back home after two months long assignment, he had pulled me and David for this trip.


He came over to my place about a week before the trip to convince me to join him. He said, "Sam you have to come. It will be a great trip. Just you, me and David camping in the mountains, just like the good old times." I told him that I was busy with a writing assignment and my new book was slated for a release next month. But, he would not listen. So finally, I relented and agreed to join them.

It had been several years since the three of us had gotten together. I was not sure how the trip would come along. I had not spoken to David in a long time even though both of us stayed in the same city. We had met very less after the college. So, I thought maybe this trip might be a good opportunity to say one final goodbye to my old friends.

We had agreed to travel the Friday evening and return back by Sunday evening. The mountains were only a six hours drive from our place. So, we had planned to do a 5 A.M. trek on Saturday. David picked me up and also John from our houses. He was a teacher in the government school. I saw that he had some gray hair now and wore thick spectacles. The mustache on his face made him look like a very different man from the one I last remembered. "Hi David, it's good to see you," saying this I shook hands with my old pal. "It's good to see you too, Sam," David answered.

I felt overjoyed to see my old buddies. They looked different now. But, I felt the same happiness in their company as I had felt during our college days. At that moment, I felt that I had done the right thing by agreeing to come for the trip. We reached our Motel by 12 A.M. So, we decided to catch up on some sleep before the trek. We took adjacent rooms, 301, 302 and 303. We decided to regroup at sharp 4.30 A.M. I was exhausted after the long drive and went to sleep immediately. I was woken up at 4.30 A.M. by the sound of my alarm. A little annoyed, I switched off the alarm and got up. I picked up my trekking gear and went to the parking area.

David and John were already there. We started the car and started for the mountain foothills, the place from which we had decided to commence our trek. The foothills were just about ten miles away from our Motel. The jungle area started after a few minutes drive. The jungle was very thick and it was very dark. David had to switch on the fog lights to see the road properly. After about a half an hour's drive, we reached the foothills. Since it was off-season there were few trekkers. In fact, we had not spotted more than a couple of other trekkers.

We strapped all our trekking gear and started the climb. The climb was difficult. We were all in our mid-thirties and were not as fit as we were during our college days. As we were mid-way through our ascent, David said, "Look, guys, there's a cave down there. Let's check it out,". As I and John looked, we saw a small cave at a distance. We decided to explore it. We reached the cave entrance. It was about eight feet in height and around two feet in diameter. It was pitch dark inside and we switched on our torches.

Our torch light revealed that it was a big cave. I was surprised that I had never heard or read about this cave even though we had visited this place a couple of times before. The cave had some kind of foul stench and the side walls were damp and covered with moss. I could see water dripping in small drops from the ceiling. I was amazed at the cave and started checking the far end. I turned back to tell, "Wow, what a cool place,". But, I was surprised to find neither David nor John behind me. "Hi, Guys, where are you? I can't see you," I called out. I could not hear back any response. So, I thought that they must have come out of the cave and I decided to go back too.

I came out of the cave but still could not see my friends. I got a little nervous and tried calling them. But, the network signal of my cell phone was weak and I could not call them. I was now in a conundrum. I did not know if I should I look inside the cave or if I should climb up or simply go back to the car. I was getting anxious when suddenly I noticed another trekker at some distance and called out to him. "Hi Mister, please wait," saying this I ran in his direction.

The man was a tall and muscular man in his late thirties. He was carrying a backpack and wearing black goggles. "Excuse me Sir, but did you see any two people on your way up here?", I asked him breathing heavily. "No. I am sorry Sir, but I did not see anyone," he replied earnestly. I started feeling very tensed and did know what to do next. He sensed my anxiety and asked,"Is everything alright Sir, Can I help you in some way?".  So, I told him my story and explained him my situation.

I learned that his name was George. George suggested that we should check in the cave once again. We both checked the cave thoroughly but still could not find them. So, we decided to climb up the mountain thinking that the two would have climbed up hoping that I would follow them. So, we both started the climb. George talked to me and it helped to release my stress. I learned that he was a dancer and that he liked to trek. After about a couple of hours of the climb, we finally reached the mountain top.

The cool breeze and the amazing view from the top of the mountain greeted us. I looked around to see if I could find my friends. But, still, there was no sign of them. I became worried and looked at George. We decided to take rest for ten minutes and then start our descent. I was worried that something wrong had happened to my friends.

George was very supportive and comforted me by saying that my friends would be alright. He said that they probably would have played a trick on me. I became angry and thought that if this was the case, then I would probably never forgive them. After ten minutes, we began our descent. It took us about three hours to descend the mountain. Finally, we reached the foothills and I rushed to the place where we had parked our car. The car wasn't in sight anywhere. So, George offered to drop me off at the Motel.

By the time we reached the Motel, it was noon. I searched for David's car but could not find it in the parking area. I could not understand what in the world was really happening. I went to the Motel's reception and inquired if my friends had checked in. The receptionist gave me a puzzled look and asked: "Excuse me, Sir, but I do not know about any of your friends." "Please check the reservations against the rooms 301, 302 and 303," I asked him getting impatient. "Sorry Sir, but we do not have any rooms with these numbers. The third floor has been shut down for business for the last five years." "What?", I said as my head started reeling and I took a few steps back. I held my head tightly with my hands lest it fell off due to the force I was experiencing inside me.

I looked at George and he was looking at me anxiously. "Do you remember Sam?" he asked me in low voice. "Remember what? Who the hell are you ?", as I said this I began to see the scenes from past life in flashes. I saw me, David and John driving to the Smoky mountains. Only it was our younger selves back from our college days. We were all looking so happy. Suddenly, out of nowhere a wild buck stood in the center of the road. David steered the car to avoid crashing into the buck. But, he lost control and the car rolled over and fell down into a ditch. I rolled out of the car and came onto the side of the road. I saw David and John trapped inside the car. As I rushed to help them, the car suddenly burst into flames and I fell back due to the impact. My head crashed into a tree and I fell unconscious.

George revealed that I was in a state of coma for the last ten years. He said that when I woke up, the time had completely stopped for me. I still thought that David and John were alive. I did not remember about the car crash. So, George who was my Neurologist had decided to enact a small role play to make me recall my past life. So, he along with some other doctors had enacted the whole episode.

I later met with the other Doctors who had played the roles of David and John and thanked them for helping me. I visited the families of my real friends and offered my condolences and explained to them about the incident which led to our accident. They were happy that I had recovered from my Coma and wished me the best of luck. I feel so much blessed today to have been able to share my life's story with you all.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Old Man in the Park

My name is Sun-Sun Han. I once knew an Old Man. He was a six-foot-tall lean man with a clean-shaven wrinkled face. He had patches of grey h...