The Midnight Train

I waited patiently at the platform for my train to arrive. I did not have too much luggage with me just a small suitcase with all the essentials packed for a day’s stay. I am a cardiac surgeon practicing in a small country side. That evening I received an urgent call from the doctor of the neighboring village of Waterville. A patient was complaining of severe chest pain and a bypass surgery had become necessary. I was the only reputed cardiac surgeon in the country area of more than 500 square kilometers and was asked to rush as soon as I could to perform the surgery.


The small village of Waterville was located about 150 kilometers from my village and it was approximately a two hours’ train journey. My train was scheduled to depart at midnight and I reached the station a good one hour before the departure time. The platform was quite deserted and there was no else in the platform. I could not spot the station master also. I thought that maybe he would arrive a few minutes before the train’s arrival. I took out a cigarette from my pocket and lit it with my lighter. As I took a puff, I thought what my wife Elizabeth would have said to me if she saw me smoking. The thought brought a smile to my serious face. I paced along the platform to while my time. It was about 11:30 pm in the night and my train was not due until the next half an hour.

As I stood smoking my cigarette, to my utter surprise I heard the loud rhythmic chugging sound of a train in the distance. As I looked in the direction of the sound, I spotted a train arriving slowly like a giant dark serpent blowing its loud horn. I looked on as the train came to a grinding halt and stood on my platform. The train looked dark and I could not spot any people inside. I quickly checked my ticket to check the train number. The train number was “67532”. Since it was dark I took out my pocket torch and threw the light on the train. The train number was indeed the same. I was little surprised that the train had come well before its departure time. I walked to my bogey B4 and checked the passenger list. As I scrolled the list of passengers’ I found my name printed at the bottom “Dr. David Jones – Age 55 – B4 – Seat 13”.

I went to the door and opened it. It opened quite easily and I boarded the train. As I walked along the aisle of my first class Bogey I saw that all the compartment doors were shut and there was pin drop silence.  I imagined it was quite natural considering that most of the passengers were tight asleep. But, it was rather unusual to not hear anyone snoring or to not hear any other sound. I found my compartment and opened the door gently so that I would not disturb any other sleeping passenger. I was slightly surprised to not find anyone else in the compartment. I placed my suitcase on the luggage rack and took my seat. To my utter surprise, the train came to life suddenly and started moving again. The loud whistle of the train alarmed me. It seemed like the train had only been waiting for me to board it. I took out my pocket watch and looked at the time with the light of my pocket torch. The time was still 11.45 pm and it was a good fifteen minutes before the scheduled departure time.

The train picked up its motion and started traveling at a monstrous speed. I could see the dark outline of the country side flashing past me. The only light outside was coming from a half moon which was looking majestic at this unearthly hour. I spread the bed sheet and took out a blanket from my suitcase. As I prepared to go to bed, I heard a loud rap on the door which alarmed me. The door opened and the familiar outline of a Ticket Conductor stood in the half-opened door.  “Dr. Jones, glad to see you here Sir,” the conductor expressed his relief at seeing me. “Mr. Conductor, can you please explain to me why the train arrived early and left before its scheduled departure time?” I inquired from the conductor.

“I apologize for the inconvenience Doctor,” the conductor apologized and continued “As you are aware Sir, Mr. Statham has fallen terribly ill and needs urgent medical care. So, the family doctor had called you this evening. Due to heavy rains, there have been several landslides in the country side and the roads are not safe for travel. So, Mr. Statham’s family bought the entire tickets of the train to get you there as soon as possible.” “Bought the entire tickets of the train, you say?” I asked with utter surprise. “Who is this gentleman?” I asked with amazement. “He is the grandfather of our President Mr. Lincoln, Sir” the conductor informed me.

I was quite taken aback after hearing the family background of my Patient and the importance of the assignment at my hand. My entire medical career was on the line for this surgery. Every newspaper in the country side would carry the details of the surgery in two days’ time. I reached the village of Waterville in little less than two hours. A car was waiting for me at the station and I was immediately rushed to the hospital. I performed the surgery and could save the patient successfully.

I was happy that I could save the life of such an important patient. The President’s family thanked me profusely and I took leave from them the next morning. I took the afternoon train and reached home by evening. That evening the President called me and thanked me for my service.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Old Man in the Park

My name is Sun-Sun Han. I once knew an Old Man. He was a six-foot-tall lean man with a clean-shaven wrinkled face. He had patches of grey h...