The Beginning

I am Angad, the Prince of Vaishali. My age is 5000 years and yet I have not aged a day since I met the Yogi. I still remember that day. It was my 21st birthday and I was to be crowned the next King of Vaishali. My parents the great King Vishnusagara and the noble queen Jayanthi had arranged for a great Yagna ceremony to mark the coronation. Great Kings, Mighty Warriors and Charming Princesses from all over the world had been invited to attend this ceremony. I was excited and looking forward to the grand occasion. After all, I had excelled at my studies and my various Gurus had consented that the time had come for me to lead my people. I had achieved specialization in mastering the ancient scriptures and arts of War. I had also studied the science of Political Administration and good ethics from the great sage Pashupathi himself. I had also won the Mighty warrior challenge last year when I had defeated a thousand warriors from all over the world in a competition that had tested my endurance, strength, and courage. Winning this contest had earned me the name Sahastra Vijaya or the Winner of a Thousand Warriors. My parents had received several proposals for me and I was the cynosure of all the eyes. In short, my world was like a dream. Everything a person could wish for was right at my feet. But, soon it was all about to change.
I woke up with the first rays of the Sun and after taking a dip in the cold waters of the holy river Saraswathi I offered my prayers to the great Sun God. I asked him for the strength to lead my people with dignity and honor. I dressed up wearing the grand robe presented to me by my mother. This dress was made of a smooth fabric called Masarna Vastram.  I then walked to the holy place where the Yagna was to take place. There was a huge cheer from the people as I made my way to the ceremonial altar. I paid my obeisance to all my gurus and sought the blessings of my parents who were waiting for my arrival. After this, I made my way to the Grand Altar to take part in the Yagna ceremony for my coronation. As I was headed to the Altar I heard a voice call me from the behind “Rajkumara Angad! Please wait.” I turned back in surprise and saw a Yogi calling out my name. Everyone in the crowd was stunned and became silent.

As it was not considered an acceptable practice to stop a person while he walking towards the holy altar. Even though I was surprised but I did not forget my manners. I made my way to the Yogi and bowed before him and touched his feet. I sought his blessings and he replied “Thatasthu! Ayushman Bhava!”  I thanked him and asked him politely “O holy man! What is it that you seek?” He looked at me with a smile. His face was so peaceful when he replied: “I seek you, my child!” I looked at him with surprise and asked him “O great man! I fail to understand your words!” He said that he had come to offer me a choice to select my future. He predicted that if I became King that day I would be personally responsible for the killing of a million people. He said that the whole world would be at my feet and yet I would not be satisfied. He said that I would become an evil King who would not stop until he had conquered the entire world.

I tried to assure him that I would be a good King but he would not listen. I dared not offend him by telling that he was mistaken. But, I guess he sensed it. He said that I had another future should I choose to accept it. He said that this future too resulted in the killing of a million people. But, this future was to save humanity from evil men. He said that he could bless me with powers which would make me ageless and I would be assigned a hit list of people over a long period. The men in this list were corrupt and dishonorable men. Also, they were not as blessed as me as their future was already written. I had to take up the assignment of killing these evil men and earn a chance to redeem myself. He said that the day I killed all the men assigned to me the gods would grant me a place in the Peaceful Upper Realm we call as the Swarga Loka. I looked on helplessly. I turned to my Parents and saw tears in their eyes. Here, I was two feet away from being the greatest King ever and it all looked so hopeless. I knew I had to make this tough decision myself. I took a deep breath and prayed to my favorite God Vishnu to seek his divine counsel. I heard a divine voice and it commanded me to trust this Yogi.

I thanked the Yogi and asked him to lead the way. I threw a final glance at my parents and sought their forgiveness. I closed my eyes and uttered a prayer for courage. I open my eyes and here I am 5000 years later. I have killed all the men assigned to me by the Yogi and only a thousand more are left before my redemption. I am now known as Koti Hanana or the Slayer of a million. May God have mercy on your Soul and protect him from my wrath.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Old Man in the Park

My name is Sun-Sun Han. I once knew an Old Man. He was a six-foot-tall lean man with a clean-shaven wrinkled face. He had patches of grey h...