The Spectacles

I was surfing for anti-glare spectacles on eBay. My desk job had left with me a dry eye problem. The eye doctor had told me strictly “Use anti-glare glasses, James. Your eyes have become severely dry. Also, use these eye drops two times a day”. I had bought the eye drops but I did not have enough money to buy the expensive glasses. So, I was looking on eBay for good second-hand glasses. After about an hour of surfing, I found exactly what I was looking for. The ad said “Used anti-glare glasses just like new. Not used for more than a month and without any scratches. Offer at half the original cost.” Without too much thinking I ordered the glasses and my order was delivered in a couple of days to my house. It was about evening time when I received the package. I was very happy and opened the package. The ad was correct. The glasses looked elegant and without any scratches. I tried them on and looked myself in the mirror. They had the perfect frame and looked good on me. I smiled and sat before my computer. I wrote a good review of the glasses on eBay. I prepared dinner and fed my dog Tim and then went to bed.
At night around 2 am Tim began to howl all of a sudden. I woke up and thought that maybe he was hungry. I switched on the lights of the bedroom and saw that Tim was hiding under the bed and howling like he was scared of something. “Hey Tim, What’s the matter with you boy,” I said trying to pacify him. But, he was scared and would just not come out. I thought maybe he had seen some burglar.

So, I took my baseball bat from behind the door and quietly went to the hall. I moved with caution, landing my feet softly and looking out for any sign of danger. My hand held the baseball bat with a tight grip and few trickles of sweat were flowing down my temples. My heart beat increased when I saw the kitchen lights on. I ducked slowly and moved towards the kitchen. As I moved to the kitchen the lights began to flicker and my body started shivering lightly. I held the baseball bat in air and asked in a challenging tone “Who’s out there? Come out.”

My heart skipped a beat when I heard footsteps and a soft chuckle. Someone or something came out of the kitchen and I could see a flash of silver light. My baseball bat fell in fright and my whole body seemed to be frozen to the ground. I wanted to scream but I could not mutter a single word. I jumped when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I could feel cold breath on my neck. I turned back to look at a woman with long dark hair and completely dressed in white. Her face was pointing down but her arm was on my shoulder. I was dead scared. I could feel her pointed finger nails piercing me and then she slowly lifted her face to reveal a head with no face. She chuckled softly and was muttering something.

I tried to run but she held me in a firm grip. She lifted her other hand and moved her index finger sideways to indicate me to stop. “I want my glasses back!” she was muttering in a hollow voice. I pointed her to the computer desk where I had placed them. She walked slowly to the desk and put on her glasses. She then laughed in the most sinister way and said “Thank you James!” and poof she vanished. I found my lungs and screamed at the top of my voice “Help! Help me from this ghost!” I ran towards the door and as I ran I slipped and fell on the floor. I had stumbled against the baseball bat and my head had banged against the floor with a thud. Suddenly I saw some stars and passed out. 
When I woke up I was surprised to find myself on my bed. Tim was licking me on the face. My head was feeling slightly heavy but I laughed and thought what a crazy dream I had seen last night. I saw my baseball bat was lying behind the door. I went to the computer desk and found my spectacles there. I breathed a sigh of relief and as I turned there seemed like a note on the corner of the desk. I opened the note and it read
“Thanks James! You can use the glasses in the morning. I’ll get them back from you in the night – Signed Susie”
THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Old Man in the Park

My name is Sun-Sun Han. I once knew an Old Man. He was a six-foot-tall lean man with a clean-shaven wrinkled face. He had patches of grey h...