The Phone Call

I was very excited as it was my first night at the office. I had joined as a customer service representative Manager in a leading Finance BPO company. I took the office cab and reached the office by 10 pm. My shift started at 10:15 pm and ended at 6:15 am. “Welcome Jia!” my General Manager Bob welcomed me and introduced me to the rest of the team.

My building had 10 floors and our team was put up on the 9th floor. Only the first and 9th floors had teams working in at the night time. The remaining floors were occupied by other teams during the day time. I was leading a team which offered bank loans, Insurance and other financial services to people in UK, US and some other European countries. I started my work and started calling potential customers on my checklist one by one. I had called around five customers and had successfully sold insurance to my last customer. I was pleased and picked the customer sheet to read out the name of the next customer. The next number was of a lady by the name of Sally Shine. “Hi Good Morning, am I speaking to Ms Sally Shine?” I asked on the phone. “Yes this is Sally, who is it?” the voice answered. “Hi I am Jennifer Stone from Jennings Inc.; I would like to discuss an Insurance scheme launched by our company. Can I take two minutes of your valuable time please?” “Sure go ahead!” the voice answered gently.

I began explaining the various benefits of the insurance scheme to Sally. I had been speaking about a minute when I heard something which made my heart skip a beat and stop speaking. I heard Sally shouting to someone “Stop! Please don’t kill me James. Please don’t shoot.” Then I heard two gun shots and everything was quiet. I somehow gathered my courage and spoke “Hi Ms Sally, are you alright?” After some pause a voice replied “Sally’s dead! Who the hell are you?” I got scared and did not dare to reply back. The phone then hung up. I was in state of panic and got up to inform my General Manager about the incident. “Mr Bob! Something bad has just happened” I spoke in a scared tone. Bob got up from his seat and asked “What’s the matter Jia? You look so scared.”

I explained him about Sally’s death and all the things that had transpired over the call. Bob became thoughtful and said that he would have to discuss the matter with the company higher ups. Bob then consulted with some of the directors of the company and it was decided that getting involved in the case would bring a bad name to the company. Bob asked me to take the rest of the day off to calm down. I was angry that nobody had bothered to help to nab Sally’s killers. Who knows if she could have been saved with some timely help? I was feeling very guilty at not being to help her. I took the office cab and went back home.

I had noted down Sally’s number and personal details just in case someone erased her call logs.
She was the editor of a magazine in Florida. I went home and googled her. Sally Shine was the Chief Editor of Crime Weekly magazine. She had been running stories about the drug mafia and had helped the police in nabbing few of the big dealers. I suspected that one of them might have shot her. I decided that I had to warn the police of her murder. At the same time, I did not want to lose my new job by openly revealing my identity. I was very confused and was just thinking over the matter when my phone rang all off a sudden making me jump in my chair. “Hello” I answered the call and a gruff voice answered “Hi Jia, this is Raj here. I am the senior director of Jennings Inc. I am sorry about what happened. But, listen we can’t report this matter as this would damage our companies reputation. Please cooperate” saying this he disconnected the call. I really did not know how warning the police could possible damage the company’s reputation. I decided to go with my conscious and report the matter to the police. I called 911 and informed them about the whole incident. They thanked me and assured me that my identity would be kept secret.

After about a week, I saw on the news channels that Sally’s killers were nabbed. They were some local drug dealers who were upset with her work. As for me I resigned from Jennings Inc. and joined a new day job in another company. I was happy that I had done the right thing by listening to myself.

THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Old Man in the Park

My name is Sun-Sun Han. I once knew an Old Man. He was a six-foot-tall lean man with a clean-shaven wrinkled face. He had patches of grey h...