The Book of Enchantments

I was taken into a room by two strange celestial beings. They held my hands and flew me inside. A sense of profound calmness had descended on me. I did not struggle to free myself. I felt as light as a feather sailing in the breeze. My mind was devoid of all thoughts. As the door opened, a white light engulfed my eyes. The light was bright yet it did not blind me. The celestial beings carried me inside and dropped me gently on the floor. They left as soon as they had carried me inside and shut the door.
I was left alone in the room. The room had no walls. It felt as though I was in the middle of nothingness. I looked around me but could not find anything. I turned back to look at the door. But, the door had turned invisible and there was nothing left but white light everywhere. It felt as if all the directions had conjoined into one. I felt like a tiny speck of grain in this vast white ocean of light.
I started walking. My feet could not feel any ground beneath them. I felt like I was walking in thin air. I tried to remember what had happened before. I remembered arriving at the ashram in a dilapidated state. Filled with anger, regret and hunger my soul longed for love and mercy. The Guru had taken me into his arms and promised to show me the right path. I turned into a devoted disciple and entrusted my life into meditation. Every morning, the Guru would entrust me to clean the ashram. As I swept the dust and scrubbed the floor, I felt a magical transformation inside me. My mind felt at peace and I sensed tranquility. Meditation had helped to repair my damaged soul. I experienced a divine relief. On the day that my Guru departed for his heavenly abode he summoned me. “My time has come, Chandra”, he said to me. “It is time for me to hand over my secret knowledge to you”, he said and handed me an ancient scripture of enchantments. “You must use this knowledge well. It is time to redeem yourself”, saying this he breathed his last. I performed his last rites and set out to fulfill my destiny. The scripture called “The Divine Secrets” had secret enchantments to fulfill any desire. These enchantments were the ancient prayers which our ancestors used to communicate with the Gods. With time, the humans had become arrogant and had forgotten to thank the Gods for their generosity. They started using the enchantments to fulfill their greed and lust. So, the great gods decided to take this knowledge back and hid the enchantments away from the eyes of all evil men. The task to hide the enchantments was entrusted with a few mystics who had still not lost their way. The mystics had protected the ancient scriptures ever since then. My Guru was the last member of this society of mystics called “The Divine Guardians”. After his passing, I had been entrusted with this divine task.
I opened the divine book and scrolled through the pages. There were enchantments to bring rain, to cause thunder storms, to summon divine weapons, to grow crops, to become invisible, to become large or small, to enter dreams and what not. But, the one enchantment which caught my attention was “To cleanse the Soul”. In my life, I had only known greed, jealousy, anger, lust, hate, and sorrow. Life had not been easy for an Orphan like me. My encounter with my Guru has transformed me. Life was now calm and serene. Tranquility had descended on me and my inner being radiated with a divine joy. I wondered if the Guru had used this enchantment to cure me. I opened the page which contained the enchantment. I started reading the enchantment and by the time I was done, I was no longer beside the book. Two strange celestial beings were carrying me in the air by holding my arms. They were strong creatures and their bodies smelled of a nice perfume. Their foreheads were adorned with blue rubies which gave out a celestial radiance. They did not look at me but kept flying. They carried me over oceans and mountains and finally into a huge cave. The cave was decorated inside with beautiful lamps. There was also a pond with several lotuses floating on it. That is when I saw the door. It was a huge wooden door and the celestial beings opened it with their strong hands and carried me inside and dropped me there. As I remembered my past and forgave myself, the veil of white light started to uncover itself. A path showed itself and a bright sun shined outside. I stepped outside into the world with my heart cleansed of all the sins. I picked up the book of enchantments and embarked on my life’s mission – “To spread peace in the world”.
.
The End

2 comments:

The Old Man in the Park

My name is Sun-Sun Han. I once knew an Old Man. He was a six-foot-tall lean man with a clean-shaven wrinkled face. He had patches of grey h...