A Game of Chess

I started playing chess about two years back. My friend Ismail introduced me to the world of chess. He said it would keep my mind engaged and it would help me forget everything else. At first, I hesitated. I was never drawn to any board games all my life. I found them dull and boring. I liked to play outdoor sports like tennis and cycling. Nevertheless, I did not want to disappoint my friend and accompanied him to the chess club. My friend introduced me to some of the club members. "He is my good friend Robert. He is an amateur player. So, be kind to him". I shook hands with the club members. One of them invited me to play alongside him. He asked me if I knew the basics of the game and I replied in the affirmative. "Very well then Mr. Robert, let's commence the game".


The game went on for about half an hour. After the game ended, the club member stormed angrily out of the club and Ismail came running to me. He inquired what had transpired. I told him that I had defeated him with 30 moves. Ismail stared at me with great disbelief. I could see that the color had come off the face of my friend. Almost everyone in the club was now staring at me and I was feeling very uncomfortable. "Why so much fuss over one game?", I retorted. "Do you know what you have done? You have defeated the Fide Master Marcus Field.  Who would have known that you could play chess so well?" and he started clapping. All the club members surrounded me and started clapping.
The applause was quite unexpected. Apparently, the Fide Master was the only undefeated club member until I came along. After this game, there was no stopping me. All the prominent club members started playing chess with me and somehow I managed to defeat all of them. My friend Ismail said that I had some God gift when it came to playing chess. He arranged for me to play with players from other reputed chess clubs.

In all, I played around 500 chess games at club level in one year. I lost only five games and managed to draw twenty games. I won the remaining 475 games. I had become a sensation in the chess circles of the city. The Times also carried a publication about my chess prowess. I was invited to play at the State level. I won the silver medal at the State level. And, then the big call came for the National level championship where I won the bronze medal.

I had never imagined when I started playing chess that it would change my life so much. When Ismail brought me to the chess club I was a troubled person. I had lost my only child and wife in a car accident a few months back. I could not eat or sleep properly after this incident. My every thought would take me back to face the horror that would haunt the rest of my life. My friends and family had given up trying to convince me to come out of my grief. I was on the verge of giving up the pathetic ruse which we call life. Ismail who had been my friend since school days could take it no more. I knew that he saw me every day in a sad and forlorn state and grieved for me. But, my heart was so filled with grief that I could not see any further in life. One day, I decided to end it all.

I slung the rope on the fan and got up on a stool. As I was about to sling the rope across my neck and fling from the stool along came Ismail. He held me back and slapped me hard. He said that he had never imagined that I would perform such a cowardly act and then he started sobbing.

I could not see my friend sobbing and I sought his forgiveness. That is when he told me to accompany to the chess club that evening. He said that it would help to keep my mind engaged and help me to forget everything else. I have to say that although I still remember my wife and child every moment, I have made my peace with God and I have accepted the truth. Now, I just seek solace in the game of chess.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Old Man in the Park

My name is Sun-Sun Han. I once knew an Old Man. He was a six-foot-tall lean man with a clean-shaven wrinkled face. He had patches of grey h...